Bike News News

Yamaha clocks 10 million production milestone

Nizam Shaikh
Written by Nizam Shaikh

India Yamaha Motor Pvt. Ltd., has announced the production achievement milestone of 10 million units on 14th May, 2019. The company started production in 1985 in India and has three facilities – Surajpur (Uttar Pradesh), Faridabad (Haryana) and Chennai (tamil Nadu). The 10 million units are a joint contribution from the three manufacturing plants. The 10 millionth bike to roll off the plant was a Yamaha FZ-S FI Version 3.0 from in Chennai.

In the 10 million units, 77.88 lakh units were motorcycles and 22.12 lakh units were scooters. Out of the 10 million units produced, 80% were manufactured in Surajpur and Faridabad and the rest 20% in Chennai. This occasion also marks another major achievement as Yamaha produced 5 million units, from 2012 to 2019, in the last 7 years alone. Between 2012 and 2019 the scooter models contributed to 44% of the production with the Fascino being in majority.

Key achievements of India Yamaha Motor:-  

  • 1 Million Unit production at the Surajpur factory in 1999
  • 5 Million Unit produced at the Surajpur factory in 2012
  • 1 Million Scooter Unit produced in India since the first Yamaha scooter, Ray, was launched in 2012

Yamaha in India includes the following motorcycles and scooters in their product portfolio:-

Motorcycles:-

  • YZF-R1 (998cc)
  • MT-09 (847cc)
  • YZF-R3 (321cc) with ABS
  • YZF-R15 version 3.0 (155cc) with ABS,
  • MT-15 (155cc) with ABS
  • FZ 25 (249cc) with ABS
  • Fazer 25 (249cc) with ABS
  • FZ-S FI (Fuel-Injected, 149cc) with ABS
  • FZ FI (Fuel-Injected, 149cc) with ABS
  • Saluto (125cc) with UBS
  • Saluto RX (110cc) with UBS

Scooters:-

  • Cygnus Ray ZR (113cc)with UBS
  • Fascino (113cc)with UBS
  • Cygnus Alpha (113cc)with UBS
  • Cygnus Ray Z (113cc)with UBS

In India, Yamaha had entered in a joint venture back in the year 1985 and in August 2001 it became a 100% subsidiary of Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd, Japan. Mitsui & Co., Ltd. and Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. agreed to jointly invest in India Yamaha Motor Private Limited., in 2008.