Tata Motors, India’s leading commercial vehicle manufacturer, has announced the launch of its new Turbotronn 2.0 engine for its range of medium and heavy-duty trucks. This new engine promises to be more fuel efficient. The Tata Ultra T.19 truck equipped with the new engine went on to break and create 9 world records.
The Turbotronn 2.0 engine is designed and developed by Tata Motors in collaboration with its global partners. The engine features a common rail fuel injection system, a variable geometry turbocharger, an exhaust gas recirculation system, and a selective catalytic reduction system. The engine also has a modular design, which reduces the number of parts and simplifies the maintenance and service.
The Turbotronn 2.0 is a four-cylinder, 3.8-litre, turbocharged diesel engine that delivers a power output of 180-204 PS and a torque of 700-850 Nm. The engine is compliant with the Bharat Stage VI (BS-VI) emission norms and offers improved fuel efficiency, performance, and reliability.
The Turbotronn 2.0 engine will power Tata Motors’ flagship models such as the Prima, Signa, and Ultra trucks. The company claims that the new engine will provide a competitive edge to its customers in terms of lower operating costs, higher payload capacity, and enhanced durability. The company also plans to introduce the Turbotronn 2.0 engine in its other segments such as buses, tippers, and tractors.
Tata CVs breaking records
To test the reliability and efficiency of the new engine, Tata started a 30-day endurance run with the Ultra T.19 truck equipped with the new Turbotronn 2.0 engine. The objective was to do a non-stop run of the Golden Quadritlateral. The Ultra T.19 made nine rounds of the GQ while setting nine world records. Here is a list of its achievements:
- Fastest to cover 30,000km by a medium CV
- Fastest to cover Golden Quadrilateral by a medium CV
- Highest fuel efficiency by a diesel medium CV
- Highest fuel efficiency by a diesel medium CV over one roundtrip of Golden Quadrilateral
- Maximum distance covered by a medium CV in a month
- Maximum distance covered by a fully loaded 19 tonne truck in a month
- Highest fuel efficiency by a diesel medium CV on Chennai-Kolkata stretch
- Highest fuel efficiency by a diesel medium CV on Delhi-Mumbai stretch
- Highest fuel efficiency by a diesel medium CV on Kolkata-Delhi stretch