Piaggio has introduced ABS equipped variants to their premium scooter lineup. The Aprilia SR 150 & the Piaggio Vespa 150 scooters now come with a single-channel ABS setup, for the front wheel only. Also, the 125cc models of the Aprilia and Vespa range now come with CBS (Combi Brake System).
From April 2019, all two-wheelers with engine capacity up to 125cc will need to have CBS, and all two-wheelers above 125cc will need to have ABS. That is why we’ve been seeing almost every manufacturer offering ABS & CBS on their products.
The single-channel ABS variant pricing:
- Vespa VXL 150 ABS – INR 98,310
- Vespa SXL 150 ABS – INR 1.02 lakh
- Vespa SXL 150 ABS Product Red – INR 1.03 lakh
- Vespa Elegante 150 ABS – INR 1.08 lakh
- Aprilia SR 150 ABS – INR 80,850
- Aprilia SR 150 Carbon ABS – INR 82,550
- Aprilia SR 150 Race ABS – INR 89,550
Price list of CBS variants:
- Vespa VXL 125 CBS – INR 88,250
- Vespa SXL 125 CBS – INR 91,450
- Vespa SXL 125 Product Red CBS – INR 92,500
- Aprilia SR 125 CBS – INR 69,250
There is no other mechanical changes on these scooters except for the braking hardware change. Yes, the weight would have gone up marginally, but the scooters now become a lot more safer.
Combi Brake System applies equal force on the front and rear wheels to alloy for a safer stop. ABS system prevents the wheels from locking in hard braking situations which can prevent a slide, and hence ensure safety.