Uber could hit the streets of Delhi once again and start normal operations soon. The Delhi Transport Department will have a hearing to check if the taxi service could resume operations in the national capital.
Uber on the other hand has announced a couple of changes they will integrate in their operations to make commuting safer.
- All drivers appointed by Uber will need to have police verification done
- Background check of drivers
- Cars being used will also be verified for documents
- Dedicated customer support team
- ShareMyETA function on the Uber app which allows the customer to share his trip details with friends / family. This also includes GPS tracking, photo of the driver with his name and the vehicle number.
The transport department is looking at amending a few rules to allow fair play in the taxi segment. This amendment will have to be followed by the new taxi service operators to start functioning.
After the ban was imposed on web-based and non-licensed taxi services, a few government officials had found it inappropriate. Officials mentioned that if such services are running successfully globally, they should be encouraged here in India as well.
Source – EconomicTimes