Premium car maker Volvo is planning to launch the all-new S60 sedan in India by 2020. The new Volvo S60 which is the third-generation sedan, will be locally assembled at Volvo’s plant in Bengaluru, Karnataka. In India, Volvo currently assembles its XC60, XC90 SUVs and S90 sedan and it is speculated that the S60 will also be assembled in India right from its launch, but as of now nothing has been officially confirmed.
The Volvo S60 is available in a 2.0-litre four-cylinder, direct injection turbocharged, petrol engine with different power output configurations and the specifications are as follows:-
- T4 – 190 HP of power and 300 Nm of torque coupled with a front-wheel-drive
- T5 – 250 HP of power and 350 Nm of torque with front-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive options
- T6 – 310 HP of power and 400 Nm of torque with all-wheel-drive
- T6 – 320 HP of power and 400 Nm of torque with all-wheel-drive
- T6 (Electric/Petrol) – 340 HP of power and 590 Nm of torque with all-wheel-drive
- T8 (Electric/Petrol) – 390 HP of power and 640 Nm of torque with all-wheel-drive
- Polestar Engineered – 318 Hp of power and 430 Nm of torque with all-wheel-drive
All the above-mentioned engines come with an 8-speed Geartronic automatic transmission as standard across all variants. The S60 can do top speeds ranging from 220 kmph to 250 kmph where the law permits. But from 2020 onwards, top speed on all the variants of the S60 sedan will be limited to 180 kmph. This will be done globally and the decision comes from the brand’s intention to warrant maximum road safety.
The Volvo S60 is built on the SPA (Scalable Product Architecture) platform and the exterior dimensions measure in at 4761mm in length, 1850mm in width, 1431mm in height with a wheelbase of 2872mm.
Volvo cars have always emphasised on passenger and road-user safety and the S60 sedan features a safety cage in high-strength steel, dual-stage driver and passenger airbags, knee airbags, side airbags, inflatable curtain airbags, seat belt pre-tensioners with load limiters, whiplash injury protection system, protective front seats with energy absorbing seat and interior structures, side impact protection system, collapsible steering column, ISOFIX child safety anchorages, ABS, ESC, run-off-road mitigation, oncoming mitigation by braking and more.
The all-new S60 is expected to priced competitively with a starting from around INR 40 lakh.